How to get an Educational Credential Assessment report

An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report confirms whether or not your medical degree/diploma is comparable to a Canadian one.


If you are applying for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) programs such as the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you may require an ECA report to complete your Express Entry profile. Visit the IRCC website for more information.

The Medical Council of Canada (MCC) can only produce ECA reports for medical degree/diplomas and transcripts. The MCC does not produce ECA reports for specialty certificates. If you want to have other degrees recognized for immigration purposes, visit the IRCC website for more information.

What do I need before I can request an ECA report?

With the launch of the Express Entry system, you must now wait to have your final medical degree/diploma source verified by the MCC before you can request an ECA report. However, if you have already had your medical school transcript source verified, you can proceed directly with an ECA report request even if the Source Verification Request (SVR) for your degree/diploma is still in progress. A transcript confirms that you were awarded the degree in question and indicates the date it was awarded.

How do I request an ECA report?

Once you have had your medical credentials source verified, you can request an ECA report through your account by following these steps:

  1. Log into your account.
  2. Click Other service requests from the left panel and then select Request Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from the centre panel.
  3. Follow the prompts and instructions that appear on each screen.

Next steps

Your ECA report will be produced and mailed within 14 business days after your request. You will receive a confirmation message in your account when the report has been generated. Please allow up to eight (8) weeks for the delivery of the report by regular mail.

Your ECA report will be valid for immigration purposes for five (5) years from the date it is issued.

Note: An ECA report does not give you the ability to practise medicine in Canada. You will still need to meet other requirements, such as additional postgraduate training, before being awarded full licensure by provincial and territorial regulatory authorities. Please contact the medical regulatory authority of your choice to inquire about their individual eligibility requirements.