What is the application for medical registration?
It is a secure, web-based process for applying to Canadian medical regulatory authorities (MRAs). The application process is accessed through physiciansapply.ca.
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta (CPSA), the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia (CPSNS), le Collège des médecins du Québec (CMQ), the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan (CPSS), and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Newfoundland and Labrador (CPSNL) are using the application process.
- For CPSA, review the CPSA’s eligibility requirements and complete a Review of Qualifications through physiciansapply.ca before access will be granted to the complete application
- For CPSNS, complete the self-assessment on the CPSNS’ website prior to applying through physiciansapply.ca
- For CMQ, consult To obtain a Permit to Practice and the links to the required documents on the CMQ website before completing the application through physiciansapply.ca
- For CPSS, review the Process page on the CPSS website and follow the instructions
- For CPSNL, review the Licensing and Registration page on the CPSNL website and follow the instructions
Other MRAs will adopt the application for medical registration in physiciansapply.ca in 2016.
You must apply directly to the MRA. Links to the MRAs can be found on the following page: mcc.ca/about/partner-organizations/
- Applying to multiple jurisdictions will be easier through a simplified, harmonized electronic system. Once the application process is fully deployed, you will be able to apply to any or all of the 13 provincial/territorial MRAs in Canada electronically from your physiciansapply.ca account
- The harmonized application process will ensure that credential recognition for all physicians is fair, transparent, timely and consistent
- Information stored over time in physiciansapply.ca, such as your credentials and exam results, will prepopulate your applications, making them easier and faster to complete
- No. You will be asked to answer some questions that are common to several or all jurisdictions, and other questions that are unique to a jurisdiction. You will need to answer the common questions only once through the application process.
- Your answers to the unique, jurisdiction-specific questions will only be seen by the MRA for that jurisdiction.
- Each MRA will only see the applications for its jurisdiction and will not know whether you applied elsewhere.
No. The physiciansapply.ca application portal is designed only for candidates applying for independent registration for the first time in that jurisdiction and cannot be used for renewal of medical licences or practice permits.
How do I start the application process?
- If you have not already done so, you will need to create an account with physiciansapply.ca. Follow the instructions on the physiciansapply.ca login page.
- Be prepared to pay all applicable fees. Visa and MasterCard credit cards are the accepted methods of payment.
From your physiciansapply.ca account:
- Click on Applications for medical registration on the left panel.
- Check the box next to the MRA to which you would like to apply (the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia, le Collège des médecins du Québec, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Newfoundland and Labrador are the five options currently available).
- Click on Next at the bottom right of the screen.
- Click on the Web link next to the MRA to review their registration criteria.
- Once you have reviewed the registration criteria, click on “I AGREE”.
- Follow the instructions on each page of the application.
- On the Summary of Charges page, you will be required to enter your credit card information and click on Pay Now at the bottom right of the screen.
- Once you have paid, a Transaction Confirmation and a PDF of your completed application will be available in your account.
- Your applications will be sent directly from your account to the MRA for review.
- If you have any questions about the status of your application after it has been sent, please contact the MRA directly.
The MRA will review the application based on its eligibility requirements. It will issue a medical licence or practice permit only to those candidates who meet those specific requirements.